Water sports enthusiasts who enjoy a boating holiday will love the idea of Sterkfontein Dam chalets as a holiday destination. If your family and friends are the kind that like to spend a few days at "the dam" sailing, paddling, boating or tubing in the quiet surrounds of nature, you'll probably want to try Optima Holidays Qwantani Resort at Sterkfontein Dam in theHarrismith district.
Qwantani Resorts Sterkfontein Dam chalets
Qwantani Resort is right on the water's edge of Sterkfontein Dam. The chalets are self-catering and fully equipped for a comfortable stay. Qwantani has fantastic views of both the dam and the mountains, providing a peaceful, relaxing setting for holidaymakers.
- Boat/marine slipway
- Fire place
- Handicap facilities
- Games room
- Tuck shop
- Horse riding
- Outdoor pool
Things to do at Sterkfontein
Sterkfontein is a wonderful holiday destination for watersports junkies and nature lovers. Families and friends can swim, paddle, sail, tube and enjoy a variety of watersports on the dam. The resort also has a great pool if you prefer seeing the bottom when you swim! The dam is located within a nature reserve (the Sterkfontein Nature Reserve), so there's plenty of wildlife and bird life to be seen. A walk in the reserve may treat you to the sight of reed buck, grey rhebuck, oribi, bald ibis, ground woodpecker, bearded vulture, Cape vulture and black and martial eagle. There's also a two-day hiking trail.
Free State and Drakensberg attractions
Sterkfontein is within driving distance of the Golden Gate National Park, the charming town of Clarens and the Drakensberg.
Other Optima Holidays resorts in the Drakensberg area include:
- Bushman's Nek Hotel and Spa (Underberg, Bushman's Nek Road)
- Castleburn Resort (Castleburn Farm, Underberg)
- Champagne Lane Resort (Oliviershoek Pass, Bergville)
- Champagne Sports Resort (Central Berg, Winterton)
- Drakensberg Sun Resort (Drakensberg Gardens Road, Underberg)
- Fairways Resort (Drakensberg Gardens)
- Kiara Lodge Resort (R711 Golden Gate Road, Clarens)
- Little Switzerland Resort (Oliviershoek Pass, R74)
- Mount Aux-Sources Resort (Adjacent to Royal National Park, Mount Aux-Sources)
- Mount Champagne Resort (Dragon's Peak Park, Winterton)
- Mountain View Resort (Drakensberg Gardens)
- Riverbend Chalet Resort (Underberg District)
- Suntide Qunu Lodge Resort (Off R612, Ixopo)
The Golden Gate National Park is located in the foothills of the Maluti Mountains and well worth a visit to see the sun shine gold off the sandstone cliffs. There's also plenty of wildlife to see. Clarens is a lovely place to visit for a delicious meal and a dose of art and culture.
If you're keen for a watersports holiday in a natural setting, contact Optima Holidays to organise you Sterkfontein Dam chalets at Qwantani Resort.